It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How Defects are tracked across Iteration, Timeline? How defect number is assigned across Time Line / Iteration? Can we carry same defect number across iteration?

Prasad Mandre (2521014) | asked Jan 15 '13, 8:11 a.m.

I am designing RTC for our project.

I have query regarding tracking of the defect -

When we create defect , how it is tracked across Time Lines/Iterations? can we carry same defect number across iteration?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 15 '13, 9:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

See https://jazz.net/library/article/589 for a small summary of the most important concepts.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Henning Sternkicker (40626) | answered Jan 15 '13, 8:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The time line of a project area is the time that you want to run one project or a group of projects. It is divided into smaller pieces called iterations. The iterations should reflect your development rhythm, if you do agile development you will have short iterations around 4 weeks, for traditional development you will have larger iterations, maybe 3 months. The iterations will have a sequence on your timeline.
If you have multiple projects in your project area, that follow different development rhythms, e.g. one agile and one traditional, you can consider setting up different timelines in order to reflect this with different set of iterations on each time line.
In the end, the Iteration is set as an attribute on the work item that you submit. So in the end a work item can only be assigned to one work item at a time with the "Planned For" Attribute. If you want to track it in other projects, think of using links, create child work items or related work items.

hope that helps,

Henning
Prasad Mandre selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Prasad Mandre commented Jan 15 '13, 11:32 a.m.

Hi Henning,

Thanks for your help.

It means a work item cannot be tracked across iterations directly. We have to use links to access it in different project. 

But if we are using multiple iterations in one project/time line only ,can we access one work item in those iterations of same time line ?

Regards,
Prasad

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 15 '13, 11:39 a.m. | edited Jan 15 '13, 11:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Prasad, please consider looking at https://jazz.net/library/article/589

A work item can only be planned for exactly one iteration. It can only have one category it is filed against and can only have one owner. So a work item would only show up for one iteration. However, you can have plans that span multiple iterations (e.g. release plans) and a work item would show up on several such plans. Any plan that includes the iteration the work item is planned for would show the work item.

Because a work item also carries the effort you want to have multiple work items on multiple timelines if you have them and need to coordinate that work. There are some limits with that approach today, but I would suggest you look into the basics (from the article) first, before starting to ask those questions..

Prasad Mandre commented Jan 16 '13, 3:03 a.m.

Sure Ralph,

I will get back to you once if I have any doubts in this area. It was very helpful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.