It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can Rhapsody Design Manager v 4.0.1 be installed in Windows7 64 bit?

Jin Zhou (191711) | asked Dec 31 '12, 8:11 a.m.
 Hi.

I see some RDM users installed RDM v4.0.1 on Windows7 64bit env and it works basically fine.

My concern is if RDM being installed on Win7 other than windows server, the access URI won't have full qualified host name as there is no DNS domain info available.
Would it cause any potential problems if no DNS domain applied on the RDM access URI?

Regards

Accepted answer

permanent link
W Diu (58026) | answered Dec 31 '12, 9:53 a.m.
Windows 7 64 bit is not an officially supported configuration for Rational Rhapsody Design Manager.  Please see
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/prodguid/v1r0/clarity/softwareReqsForProduct.html and enter "Rational Rhapsody Design Manager" into the search box.

If you don't set a fully qualified host name for the server, other machines will normally be unable to communicate with the server.

Assuming the server machine's IP does not change, you can try to work around this by editing the hosts file of the client machines to define an alias that points to the server machine's IP.

On Windows 7 64 bit, the hosts file is located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.

That said, I have installed Rational Software Architect Design Manager in Windows 7 64 bit while on a domain, and while it is not a supported configuration either, it works.  Also, in this case, there is no need to edit the hosts file when the fully qualified host name is used for the server.
Jin Zhou selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.