It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does RRDI have the ETL Catalog database?

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Dec 11 '12, 9:06 p.m.
retagged Dec 13 '12, 9:57 a.m. by Kelly Raposo (463)
When following the instructions in the Help documentation for Upgrade Rational Reporting for Development Intelligence 1.0.2 to Rational Insight 1.1 one of the first steps is backing up the data.  In addition to backing up the Data Warehouse and Content Store it says to backup the ETL Catalog database.

Is this part of RRDI or only Insight?  For RRDI I only see the DW and RICM dbs.  When I go through the Insight install it tells you to create the ETL Catalog.

Comments
Rosa Naranjo commented Dec 12 '12, 2:30 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Michael
can you provide a link to the Help documentation that contains this statement so it may be corrected?

Michael Walker commented Dec 12 '12, 3:55 p.m.

It's in the Rational Insight doc.  Looks like a few of the other items it states to backup are Insight only also.  It's confusing when you're starting in RRDI and those don't exist.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rentrpt/v1r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.raer.migrating.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_upgrade_rrdi_to_insight.html

Rosa Naranjo commented Dec 12 '12, 4:04 p.m.

Ok.  I figured out what the issue is, I think.  When I followed the link, I could not find any mention of the ETL Catalog database.  In fact, Step #1 says 'Back up your Data Warehouse and Content Store Database data' which is correct and appropriate for the topic of migrating from RRDI to Insight.  However, when you follow the link in Step #1 that comes after 'For information about backing up data, see...', then you are directed to a topic that is Insight specific and thus, it is written for Insight not RRDI. 
You have to keep that in mind.  It happens sometimes.
What's important is that Step #1 did say, accurately, what specific dbs you needed to backup.

Michael Walker commented Dec 12 '12, 4:52 p.m.

Sorry I posted the wrong link.  It's migrating from RRDI to Insight 1.1, not the Insight 1.0.1.1 I originally sent.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rentrpt/v1r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.raer.migrating.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_upgrade_rrdi_to_insight.html

Michael Walker commented Dec 12 '12, 4:54 p.m.

I guess the links are the same but the topic is Upgrade Rational Reporting for Development Intelligence 1.0.2 to Rational Insight 1.1

It's under Upgrading with other products to 1.1

Rosa Naranjo commented Dec 12 '12, 4:59 p.m.

Yes, ok.
That topic we could possibly open a doc defect on.  But the other one is ok.

Rosa Naranjo commented Dec 12 '12, 5:17 p.m. | edited Dec 12 '12, 5:18 p.m.

Michael Walker commented Dec 17 '12, 3:41 p.m.

Rosa,

In the same document step 4L says the following:
"Open a web browser to http://<hostname>:<port>/insight, log in and run some existing reports to verify the installation."

However, the instructions say when installing Insight during a migration to keep the /reporting part of the URL.  The above step has only worked for me during a migration when I use /reporting.  The above instructions seem more for a fresh install of Insight and not a migration from RRDI.

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Dec 12 '12, 4:58 a.m.
Hello Michael,

you are right, the ETL Catalog database is only used by the Insight Data Manager ETL and is not part of RRDI.

Michael Walker selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.