It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Chat prerequisites?

Mark Hines (61) | asked Mar 29 '10, 12:54 a.m.
We're currently evaluating Rational Team Concert using the Express C version 2.0.0.2.

We're interested in the Chat feature, but are unable to get it to work. In fact, when other users are logged in, their status on the Eclipse client of other users is not changed -- therefore, when we right click on another user in a team area in order to execute a Chat, the Chat option is disabled.

I've searched around for documentation on this and have been unsuccessful. I wonder if there are some prerequisites or requirements necessary to get Chat to work. If there is any documentation available on this that I've been unable to find, please let me know.

Thanks!
Mark

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 29 '10, 12:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We're currently evaluating Rational Team Concert using the Express C version 2.0.0.2.

We're interested in the Chat feature, but are unable to get it to work. In fact, when other users are logged in, their status on the Eclipse client of other users is not changed -- therefore, when we right click on another user in a team area in order to execute a Chat, the Chat option is disabled.

I've searched around for documentation on this and have been unsuccessful. I wonder if there are some prerequisites or requirements necessary to get Chat to work. If there is any documentation available on this that I've been unable to find, please let me know.

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark

To enable the Chat feature, you need an instant messaging system running. RTC does not supply one of these, but out-of-the-box links into quite a few ones such as Lotus Sametime, GoogleTalk, Openfire (or any XMPP-based im system). I use Openfire on my tests system (so it does not interfere with my "normal" IM usage on Sametime.

If you go to Windows->Preferences->Instant Messaging, you can select the IM system of your choice from the list, and pushing F1 at this point will bring up more help.

Even if you don't have an integrated IM system (ie one not supported) - you can still paste in URL's of just about anything in RTC (a really fantastic capability I use a lot) - be it plans, work items, etc and the recipient will be able to double-click on the link and bring up the item in the WebUI.

Hope that gets you started - ask more Q if you need details

anthony

permanent link
Mark Hines (61) | answered Mar 29 '10, 8:28 p.m.
Got it! I'm going to take this and run with it.

Thanks!
Mark

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.