It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to implement project leads and separate discipline teams in CCM / EWM

Mark Bebbington (1122) | asked Jul 26, 5:38 a.m.

We are trying to configure IBM CLM / EWM to follow our current organisational structure but having some difficulty providing separate management of team workloads and control of project timelines. We have two main controls for our projects:

1. Work Packages / Managers (WPM) - Management, Control and Delivery of a System and Sub-Systems through timelines, iterations, creation of Work Items and then categorising them by Engineering Team. (Multiple timelines in one Project area, each timeline has a Plan page for allocation of Work Items by the WPM with the Project Manager role)
2. Engineering Teams / Managers (ETM) - Disciplines such as Electrical Team, Mechanical Team, Software, CAD etc. the ETM reviews the Work Items categorised for their disciplines and then manages the workload for their team by assigning the Work Items to team members (These are the Teams in ELM with Team Leader and Designer roles etc)

I am struggling with how best to manage this to provide WPM planning pages for their timelines and ETM planning pages for drag and drop style workload balancing:
  • WPM - I can create plans for each timeline to allow creation and allocation of Work Items by the WPM who can also categorise the Work Item for the appropriate Engineering Team. However, the Plan is assigned to a Team which is not what I want unless I create an additional Team for each WPM with just the WPM in it!? However, the WPM can still drop into their plan and edit it so it works.
  • ETM - I can't seem to provide a decent view for them to manage their team workload across all timelines!
I have looked at the alternative of getting rid of the Engineering Teams and simply having Teams for the WPM, each of whom has the entire organisation under their Team. This is okay for the allocation of a plan to a Team but has numerous problems as each Team has the same, massive number of members and management of 'Team' workload becomes completely unmanageable. The way I have it configured at the moment with maybe the inclusion of WPM's as Teams as well, seems to be almost there - just need a cohesive view of Team workload management.

Does anyone know of a way of creating a ETM Team allocation plan / board?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 26, 9:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As a comment to encourage others to answer as well...

Plans can not span timelines as far as I know. A plan always has an owner and an iteration as scope.
Planning and allocation is hard if you are in too many teams. I am not an ETM user and don't have a good answer. What you could try is to have separate top level plan items for the test team in their project and use cracks/contributes to links to use cross project and cross server tracking. I don't know if that works well enough.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.