It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When importing "created by" for example how does ELM determine whether the user exists or not

Karen Steele (1.2k4139148) | asked Jun 13, 3:11 p.m.
edited Jun 13, 3:12 p.m.
So by way of example .. we import a record that contains a created by value of John Smith.

How does or what does ELM look at to determine if John Smith is valid user in the registry and therefore DOES NOT create a new user account in the system when creating the work item. 

I'm presuming it uses the Name e.g. John Smith - if that is correct, does it therefore also ignore casing of the name or if the users registry account was JOHN SMITH does it then do a further compare based on login id e.g. SmithJ

We are moving data to a new system, and the old registry entries may not match identically to the new system as the example above, our account in the old system may have been John Smith, SmithJ .. but the AD registry entry in the new system could potentially be john smith, smithj   so does it care about the casing ?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 14, 5:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 14, 5:26 a.m.

Hi Karen,

as far as I am aware, ELM tools should NOT create users in the Jazz applications when importing data.
Usually the person importing the data would not even have the permissions to create user records. The Jazz applications usually delegate user management to an LDAP system and the application is absolutely not able to create user records on its own. It could create Jazz users, but they would not work, if they are not backed by the LDAP system.  If there is no match for the user name/user ID, I would assume that the import would fail. 

I might be wrong, not the first time.....

I would assume that this is case sensitive, but I would suggest you run some simple tests to find out how the system behaves. This should be easy enough to do. Have an import file with several variations of the data and do a test import on a throw away test system.   

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 14, 9:12 a.m.

Maybe you want to be more specific what kind of import you are talking about. The tool you import in etc.

Davyd Norris commented Jun 16, 7:32 p.m.
There's a gotcha here Ralph - if you import a field that is mapped to a Contributor data type, EWM will attempt to create the user if they do not exist.

This will fail... UNLESS you're a JazzAdmin :-(

In this case, it creates the user in the JTS, regardless of whether you are using an external registry or not. I got bitten by this and it ended up being a bit of a nightmare Support case, cleaning up all the users created in error.

Important lesson - never import as a JazzAdmin

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 17, 4:27 a.m.

Davyd, thank you so much for your contribution to the forum.

I had completely forgotten about that. So, yes, it tries to create a user in EWM in those cases. The user is synchronized to the other tools. I think it is case sensitive by default. The user is actually created regardless of the LDAP system. It is just a Jazz user, if LDAP does not know about he user, the user could not log in, but the user would be there in any case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.