It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change Project Area Process - Different "Shared" Process

Glyn Costello (14046) | asked Nov 23 '23, 12:00 p.m.
edited Nov 23 '23, 12:01 p.m.

Hi, 

I'd like to rationalise some of the customisations I've made to remove certain work item types that we don't intend to use in the future. 

Since the beginning we have used one project area as a process doner area and all project areas have used that shared process. 

So i don't want to delete work item types from the shared area as this may cause problems with legacy Project Areas that have work items that use those types. I want to make a second doner project area which has the rationalised work item types. 

We have 2 active projects which do not use any of the work items types that I want to remove but the projects have already been created and are using the current shared process. 

Am I ok to copy the process template to a new PA, share that process and then change the two active projects to consume the new shared process area (even if they have already been created)?

Go from:

Shared Process 1
- Legacy Project A
- Legacy Project B
- Active Project C
- Active Project D

To:

Shared Process 1
- Legacy Project A
- Legacy Project B

Shared Process 2 (removed some work item types)
- Active Project C
- Active Project D

Thanks, 

Glyn

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.2k33646) | answered Nov 26 '23, 8:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes,

create a process template from the current project area that shares its process. Create a new project area from the template and remove the stuff you want to remove. This should be no problem, if done correctly and you have not created work items in the project area. Disable the customization to create work items when inviting a user.

Once you are done with your changes let the new project areas switch to the new shared process. The legacy project areas stay as they are.

Note, if you want to do common changes for all your project areas, you will have to do them in the two project areas that share the process independently.
Glyn Costello selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Glyn Costello commented Nov 27 '23, 6:46 a.m.

thanks again Ralph, just to clarify, the new PA does have a small number of work items, but they are only types that we will want to use in the future. I assume this is still ok?

thanks, 

Glyn

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 27 '23, 7:14 a.m. | edited Nov 27 '23, 7:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would prefer if you had none in there for the following reason: As soon as you store data, ID's for anything like work item types, attribute types, enumeration types etc. are stored in the database. You can not get rid of anything and replace it with something else that has the same ID once the ID is used.

However, in your case it seems to be OK. You have used the ID's anyway, so no harm done.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.