It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we edit a process template via the RTC web client?

sonal neema (13214) | asked Jun 15 '21, 7:02 a.m.

I wish to edit a process template in IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management. But I cannot find enough information on it. I tried to export, make changes and import that zipped file, but it shows an error.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 15 '21, 7:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

No, you don't edit a process template. You can create a project area based on a template. You can edit the project areas process as desired and then you can export a (new) process template from the project areas modified process. 

sonal neema selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sonal neema commented Jun 15 '21, 9:23 a.m.
Hey, thanks for the quick response!

As I understand from your reply - I use a process template to create my project area, customize it as per my requirements and then export the process template as new.

So, if I wish to export the current process template and make changes outside of RTC and then import it to use it in a different project area, that's not possible?

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 15 '21, 12:42 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can do that, I suppose, if you know what you are doing. Do you? 

There is a lot you can do, if you know the details, but that does not necessarily mean you should. There are things you can do in the process XML that you can't do in the UI. But you can also perfectly wreck your process doing so.

Then again, this is certainly not supported. So if the template does not work , you should not ask support to fix it.

You want to look into process sharing, which also allows you to develop the process, share it and use the template mechanism. 

sonal neema commented Jun 16 '21, 4:53 a.m.

That makes sense. I don't think I would prefer to change the template XML. 

Thanks for the help Ralph, much appreciated!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.