It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a recommended limit for cross project area relationships

ed Neubecker (15322847) | asked Dec 13 '18, 11:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 19 '18, 10:25 a.m.
Is there a recommended limit for cross project area relationships?  When a client wants to embrace a product line engineering approach, there is typically a set of reusable CLM project areas (call this Platform CLM project areas) that other JAZZ CLM project areas (call them Program CLM Project areas) would reference.  A platform is consumed by many different programs. 
When applying this practice to CLM project areas, is there some constraint level for the number of relationships that exist from the platform project area to the program project areas? 
Thinking in the 10s, 100s, 1000s sort of limits. This doesn't need to be an exact number unless an exact number exist in our product.

Comments
Ulf Arne Bister commented Dec 20 '18, 4:51 a.m.

Hi Ed,
over the course of the past days I have given this some thoughts and hoped somebody else would chime in. I guess the question is simply too big for a sensible answer. The answer is important, but we might need to break the question down in domain-to-domain relations, take UI and handling of artifacts (requirements, test cases, models, source code) in consideration. Numbers and type of linking varies vastly over domains and also industries. Automotive is a good indicator because they have lots of everything. I remember project areas in the 100s being used in relationships, several not only cross server, but also cross JTS instances.
Bottomline: if you specify what kind of project area and what kind of relationship there should be more answers.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.