It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change LDAP Display Name in DNG

David Reilly (69742) | asked Nov 14 '18, 9:48 a.m.
retagged Dec 21 '18, 4:08 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hi -

We are synchronized with an LDAP server which provides for our users. 

The question is this: If we wanted to change the display name to be a different value, how would we go about doing this? I see that in the JTS Manage Sever page, there's a handful of jobs that populate this data, so I'm wondering if anyone has come upon the need to rename their users for clarity, and which one of those tasks can be updated to change user's display names.

Here's an example of why we would want to change this.

Michael Scott
userID:  mscott, displayName: mscott 

This isn't so bad. However, if we take another example, the displayName is truncated to eight characters (an inheritance of our LDAP).

Toby Flenderson
userID: tflenders, displayName: tflenders

This just doesn't work for a bunch of reasons.

Thanks,
David

Comments
David Reilly commented Nov 14 '18, 12:27 p.m.

With some further research, it appears that this post provides some useful notes on what to modify if you're looking down this path. 

I understand that a lot of this has to do with how our LDAP is set up, but if anyone has some interesting tips or guidance on this, it would be very useful. I'm a little hesitant making changes on the admin side of things if it winds up getting us "out of sync" so if anyone has a comment or tidbit to add, I'd greatly appreciate the guidance.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 15 '18, 2:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please see: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_plan_identity_management.html

The LDAP settings basically map the LDAP information to the user ID and the user name etc. 
You need another attribute in LDAP that has a more convenient user name format and you need to change all the LDAP mappings to use that instead of the one you use at the moment. The synchronization should change the user name accordingly. 

Note: you want to keep the user ID as it is. 

David Reilly selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
David Reilly commented Nov 15 '18, 10:28 a.m.

Thank you Ralph. Following up with our LDAP managers to do this very thing. Appreciate your guidance on this.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.