It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What would cause generated requirement links to sometimes pull from the current test script step, and other times pull every requirement in a test script?

Timothy Distel (73356) | asked Aug 23 '18, 8:43 a.m.
edited Aug 23 '18, 1:17 p.m.

Hello,

I am using CLM 6.0.3 soon to upgrade to 6.0.6.

I am experiencing a behavior I am unsure how to correct, or even what the cause is. When you create a defect from within a test script, it links to the test plan, test case, test case result as well as the requirement that is linked to the test script step where the defect is being created. The problem I am having is sometimes the requirement links generated are specific to the step where the defect is created, and other times the requirement links generated are from the entire test script. Does anyone have any information on what would cause this or anything I may try to correct this behavior?

Accepted answer

permanent link
paul chu (59411) | answered Aug 27 '18, 11:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

From a quick test with 6.0.6, if the test step has requirement links, those requirements will be linked to the new defect.  If the test step does not have any requirement link, the new defect will link to all requirements that are linked to the test case that is associated to the test script.

Timothy Distel selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Timothy Distel commented Aug 28 '18, 9:33 a.m.

I wonder if that was an intended behavior. It is less than ideal for my customer's current use. If I'd like this to be configurable should I create an RFE?

paul chu commented Aug 28 '18, 10:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It is by design that if there is no specific requirement associated with the test step, it is considered that it doesn't meet the requirements of the test case.  My personal opinion is that removing the requirement links in a defect is easier than looking for the appropriate requirements to link to :D.  Please submit an RFE if you would like this to be configurable.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 28 '18, 1:48 p.m. | edited Aug 28 '18, 1:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Something you would need to explain in that RFE is:  If there are requirements linked to the test script, and a particular test step is only related to a subset of those requirements, why wouldn't that test step be linked to that subset?   In particular, if you are finding that there are too many requirements being linked to a work item filed against a test step, then that is your clue that you have neglected to specify the appropriate subset.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.