It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RPE Document Builder fails to start after V6.0.6 iFix001 upgrade

Francis Kemp (7213044) | asked Jul 31 '18, 4:09 p.m.

We're using WebSphere V8.5.5.13 to host CLM in a distributed environment.  One host has the JTS, GC, LDX and RPE applications. I was able to get RPE V6.0.6 integrated successfully last month and everything worked properly.

Today I updated the CLM tools to V6.0.6 iFix001.  RPE will not start after this upgrade.  I suspect the RPE depends upon in the directories that are deleted from the profile (temp, wstemp, workspace) during the upgrade.

In the trace file, I get messages like this:

org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.helpers.WARFileAnnotationsDetector locateAnnotations Failes to create class reader for [ module-info.class ] in [WEB-INF\lib\javax.json-1.1.jar ]; [ null ]
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.helpers.WARFileAnnotationsDetector locateAnnotations Failes to create class reader for [ module-info.class ] in [WEB-INF\lib\javax.json-api-1.1.jar ]; [ null ]
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.helpers.WARFileAnnotationsDetector locateAnnotations Failes to create class reader for [ module-info.class ] in [WEB-INF\lib\javax.json.bind-api-1.0.jar ]; [ null ]
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.helpers.WARFileAnnotationsDetector locateAnnotations Failes to create class reader for [ module-info.class ] in [WEB-INF\lib\javax.yasson-1.0.1.jar ]; [ null ]

Then the rpeng and dgaas applications won't start. I'm thinking that re-deploying the com.ibm.rpe.web.app will resolve the issue. 

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Fran

Comments
Kumaraswamy Gowda commented Aug 01 '18, 2:57 a.m.

RPE did not participate in 6.0.6 iFix001. Hence, there is no changes that would have caused it. But since you upgraded from 6.0.6 to iFix001, did it remove any configuration in server.xml?

Does the following URL fetch anything?
https://server:port/rpeng
https://server:port/dgaas/debug

Thanks,
Kumar

One answer

permanent link
Francis Kemp (7213044) | answered Aug 03 '18, 9:03 p.m.
edited Aug 03 '18, 9:04 p.m.

Kumar,

Agreed - nothing in the upgrade broke it - but as stated in the original question - removing the temp, wstemp and workspace folders during the iFix upgrade appeared to remove something that the RPE webapp required to start properly. 

I got it working again by redeploying the jar, configuring the user roles and linking the shared library.  Fortunately this is a test environment so there were no major issues. 

IBM may want to update the installation/upgrade docs to indicate that RPE should be installed in its own profile when using WebSphere Base.

Fran

Comments
Kumaraswamy Gowda commented Aug 03 '18, 11:19 p.m.

Thanks Francis. I absolutely agree! We'll update the documentation.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.