It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is correct execution state: step is blocked by known issue, but can be run by different way. Whole functionality of Test Case purpose still works fine

Thao Nguyen (37334) | asked Jul 04 '18, 1:00 a.m.
edited Jul 04 '18, 2:38 a.m.

Hello,

One Test Case has several steps. During execution, one step in the middle is failed by known issue. However, we can still run that step by other way to perform the same purpose as that step needs
Remaining steps are run passed

We often use "Exception" result for this scenario, but i could not find any state matching needs as mentioned above
Could you advise what is correct execution state/test result for this scenario?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 04 '18, 2:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This question is a great example for how to not ask a question. See How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers? to get better.

1. If you fail with your tagging, whatever abbreviation you think is common, might not be

I was very close to closing this question as off-topic.

Thao Nguyen commented Jul 04 '18, 2:40 a.m.

Oops, sorry Ralph, I changed "TC" to Test Case" and update title. Please let me know if you have any suggestion to help it clearer

One answer

permanent link
Krupa Gunhalkar (4512) | answered Jul 06 '18, 4:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Thao Nguyen,

As you have mentioned that the failed step is already a known issue there are couple of things you can adopt.

1) Either mention in the Actual Result section or Comments section saying, this is a known issue and we have a workaround and pass the step.
2) Second, update the test script for the time being so that this step is not executed until the issue is resolved and you can continue the test and test case result will also be not affected. Or update the test script step with the "Workaroud" steps only to make it passed step.
3) Lastly, but not least, as you have customized the "State" as "Exception", continue doing that and complete the test case execution. RQM gives the flexibility to the user to define their own states depending on the project need. Default ones are standard states and any other states than the default ones has to be defined by the stakeholder.

Thanks and Regards,
Krupa Gunhalkar

Comments
Thao Nguyen commented Jul 08 '18, 9:41 p.m.

Hello Krupa,

Your third point to define own state means: rename execution state in Manage Project Properties > Execution States, not add a new execution state?
If so, it will meet below issue

Thao Nguyen commented Feb 06 '20, 9:04 p.m.

Just for your reference, I see state "Partially Blocked" has close meaning to situation I meet  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.