It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Possible to import artefacts in DNG from a CSV file *with* Links ?

Christophe Lucas (86234948) | asked Oct 26 '17, 4:12 a.m.

I have 4 requirement/artefact types (Level1 to Level4) as per 1st picture below, with a 'Contains/Contained In' custom Link, and both 1...n and n...n relationships.

I have 4 sets of spreadsheets (csv) containing the Rqts, 1 for each Level (1 to 4).
In the 2nd picture below is a sample of the Level2 csv, which shows a list of the L2 Rqts, with a reference column to the L1 Rqt(s) that the L2 Rqt is 'Contained In'.

I plan to import all L1-to-L4 Rqts from the 4 csv files in 4 steps, i.e. L1 first, then L2, then L3, then L4.

Is it possible to establish the 'Contains/Contained In' links as I do the imports ? How ?

Thanks

Comments
Christophe Lucas commented Oct 27 '17, 11:18 p.m. | edited Oct 27 '17, 11:39 p.m.

The only way I have found so far to address the use case is (just for the Level 1 to Level 2 sample below):

1. Import L1 rqts
2. Export L1 rqts to xls, with the Description and the DNG ID
3. In the L2 rqts xls, do VLOOKUP manipulation in Excel to replace the 'Reference to L1' column 'Description' values with the corresponding DNG 'ID'
4. Import the L2 rqts xls with the 'Reference to L1' column now populated with the DNG ID
5. Do 'Link by Attribute' bulk update on the imported L2 rqts on the 'Reference to L1' attribute (i.e. ID) with the 'Contained In' link. But as per the limitation in this post (max 200 rows per page), this can still be quite time consuming.

Any smarter/faster way to do that ?

Thanks 

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.