It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Assigning multiple workflows for a workitem in RTC

Nagarajan Ramaswamy (112) | asked May 09 '17, 2:31 a.m.

Hi,

Currently I am customizing workitem template in RTC for my requirement . I am migrating from CQ to RTC.
In CQ mutiple workflows for a record type is possible .

in RTC, Can I create multiple workflows for a work item .
If so what will be the pros and cons of doing so .

Thank you in advance !!

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented May 09 '17, 4:57 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you describe the use case which requires having multiple workflows for a single record type?

Nagarajan Ramaswamy commented May 10 '17, 1:18 a.m.

In CQ :
  Job (record Type)
      Problem Job [different workflow]
      Standard Job [different workflow]
      Review Job [different workflow]

In RTC
   Job [Workitem type] .
In this there should be an attribute with drop down of "Problem", "Standard" and "Review". Based on this selection appropriate workflow to be selected on click of Save . This is an one time activity while creating the workitem.

I came to know, workflows are assigned to the WI only on click of the first save . In this case, i foresee this is possible .

Note : I understand, another workflow can not be assigned to an already created WI

Ralph Schoon commented May 10 '17, 1:37 a.m. | edited May 10 '17, 1:49 a.m.

The workflow is determined by the type category of the work item. To change the workflow you would have to change the type to a type with a different type category with a different workflow assigned. 

This can be done to an existing work item. Note that this can also cause loosing the current state of the item, if no state with the ID of the current state exists in the new workflow. 

Donald Nong commented May 10 '17, 2:05 a.m.

I don't really recall multiple workflows can be used for one record type in ClearQuest - the state transition matrix (similar to the workflow in RTC) is definitely static and there is only one for each record type. I believe it is the concept of "dynamic workflow" where some actions can be carried out automatically (behind the scenes) by hooks, and end users it differently in effect. There are no "hooks" in RTC, so you will not be able to achieve the same.

Ralph Schoon commented May 10 '17, 2:19 a.m.

It would be possible to have follow up actions performing state changes during a save.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered May 09 '17, 2:57 a.m.
edited May 09 '17, 2:57 a.m.

No, in RTC you can not have multiple workflows for a work item type. Each work item type can only have one workflow.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nagarajan Ramaswamy commented May 09 '17, 3:03 a.m.

Thank you for the information

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.