It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC make workflow resolution read-only for some states

Jim Tompkins (19317) | asked Jan 25 '17, 5:48 p.m.
edited Jan 26 '17, 4:28 p.m.

RTC version 6.0.2        

I am using the default workflow resolution attribute in a work item workflow.  I would like the like the resolution field to be visible and editable in one state and visible but NOT editable in a different state.  I see that I can hide the resolution by checking/unchecking the "show resolution" option by state.  I can also limit the resolution choices by state.  However I can't see how to make it read-only, and still visible.

I have looked under Operational Behavoir.  I see where I can make attribute read-only by state.  However the Workflow Resolution is not available as an attribute in this area.

The use case is a developer resolves a defect.  The developer sets the resolution to "Work for me".  The tester verifies the defect.  The tester needs to see the resolution set by the developer. The tester should not be able to change the resolution.

One answer

permanent link
Daniel Barbour (250323) | answered Jan 26 '17, 5:35 p.m.
edited Jan 26 '17, 5:35 p.m.

Hi Jim,

If I understand your objective - you would like to constrain/prevent a user with the 'Tester' role from being able to change the resolution for a work item (but still be able to SEE the work item's resolution). 

If this is an accurate reflection of your goal - then you can accomplish this by removing the permissions for Triggering a work item action (such as re-opening the work item, which would cause the resolution to change from 'Works for Me' to 'Reopened') from the 'Tester' role.  Once the permissions are removed - if a Tester tries to change the resolution RTC will post an error (perhaps not an elegant response - but effective).

To make such a change: Select the 'Gear' icon..Manage this Project Area..' then select Permissions from the Table of Contents section on the left pane of the project dialog...Ensure the 'Show by Role' radio button is selected and select Tester.... navigate to 'Save Work Item ->Trigger a workflow action and then select the Red 'revoke' permissions for each of the following operations:

Reopen (Default Workflow)
Resolve (Default Workflow)
Set Resolved (Default Workflow)
Triage (Default Workflow)
etc.. (you may also want to make similar changes for other 'xxx Workflow' operations (i.e. 'Issue Workflow)

I tried this out for a simple case and the Tester role saw the following message when trying to Save the change for 'reopening' a resolved Work Item:

Comments
Jim Tompkins commented Jan 30 '17, 10:01 a.m.

Hello, Thanks for the response.  I did try this as well as setting permission on the Resolution field. The problem is that I need to tester to be able to transition the record through the various states.  I only want to prohibit the tester, or any user from changing the value of the resolution during certain states.  Below is a table of what I am looking for.

Action      State         Resolution

Submit       Open          Read-only and visible
Assign        Assigned    Read-only and visible
Resolve      Resolved    Editable and visible
Verify          Closed        Read-only and visible
Re-open       Open          Read-only and visible

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.