It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Different timezone in RTC Project Area as the timezone of the server

Danny Beerens (801928) | asked Jan 12 '17, 4:51 a.m.

Is thee any way we can set the timezone for a RTC Project Area to EST. The European timezone setting of the server is messing up our due dates.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jan 12 '17, 5:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 12 '17, 5:53 a.m.

As far as I know, times and dates are converted from the timezone setting on the client machine to the timezone setting on the server.  The time itself is the same and consistent. It is the display that is dependent on the timezone.

You would have to set the server timezone to EST to have this go away. Of course then client running on European clients would show times converted from EST to their timezone.

There would be no problem, if everyone would work on Earth Standard Time (e.g. GMT) 8D.

Comments
Danny Beerens commented Jan 12 '17, 6:50 a.m. | edited Jan 12 '17, 6:51 a.m.

grin Yes, agreed; if everybody would work with the UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) standard, or use the GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) timezone, there would be no problem :p

However, it is not the date/time notation, it is the Due Date notification that's the problem here. Due Date notifications are based upon the server's timezone (would be logical since trigger scripts run on server).

Am I correct when I extract the following conclusions from your reply?

1. If my users in another timezone, set their User Profile to the timezone they're in, then the displayed date and time will correspond with their timezone, although the server runs in another timezone.

2. Setting the Due Date in the user's RTC client will be displayed in the timezone of the user's timezone setting. Saving the work item, translates the Due Date to the date+time format of the server's timezone, so notifications of Due Dates will be correct for that user's timezone.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 12 '17, 7:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Danny, I believe that to be true. I haven't played with the Due date, but I believe that the information is stored on the server normalized to the server timezone. I have looked at this a bit for some extensions and you basically have to provide information such as timezone and the like to get the date to display.

Please note that the Due date is a time not a date. It is the date and the time relative to the date (e.g. 12:PM).

I am not sure what setting the work environment of the user does. Changing it seems to have no effect when I am testing this. I can not test this right now, but I would assume that the timezone information is read from the operating system. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.