It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

User deletes Requirements Manager folder -- Are there recovery possibilities aside from db restore?

Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | asked Apr 04 '16, 9:56 a.m.
User claims to have "accidentally" deleted a folder.  From trying this myself, the user is warned and has to click a check  box and click OK before the delete occurs.  AND the warning says "folder and all artifacts"

I find 193 items in resource.resources table that are marked archived, modified since midnight today.   All modified_by are the submitter of the case we received.  

I poked about and don't see any UI way to restore or find the folder.

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Apr 04 '16, 10:02 p.m.
Such functionality is still pending for a future release.
https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/73237

Restoring from a DB backup is the only way to go. You can use some creatively ways to minimize the impact of loss of data (if any) - you can restore the data into a staging environment, export the now deleted artifacts in ReqIF format, and import them into the production environment. If it does not work (due to the same UUIDs), you can also try CSV format but you will not have the same artifact IDs any more.

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Apr 07 '16, 9:25 a.m.

I had thought of the separate environment, but easier said than done.   I did squirrel away the files that would be needed for restore to some time prior to the deletion.   The user claims to have wanted to delete a sub folder, but the top-level folder was delete.

Kevin Ramer commented Apr 15 '16, 9:42 a.m.

I was able to restore JTS and RM databases (into new databases)  to a time prior to the user delete then connect a DNS isolated VM and connect to the restored databases.  I then visited each of the artifacts in the missing folder and chose "download for viewing" and handed those files to user.  I also captured a screen shot of the folder hiearchy.  User restored artifacts and folders.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.