It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the recommended solution for the source code managerment for Message Broker code?

Belinda Lee (113) | asked Feb 01 '16, 5:07 p.m.
Hello,
I am looking for a tool for the source code management for our Message Broker Code.
Our Message Broker is running on MVS.  When we were  at V7, we used the ClearCase plug-in in our Toolkit to access the source code and could check-in and check-out seamlessly.
After the ClearCase server was upgraded to V8, we could not connect.    When we upgraded our Message broker to V8, there was still issue connecting to the Clear Case server. And when we did connect at one point in time, I got the rebuilding messages every time when I connected.

Since ClearCase is not strategic in our function, we are looking for an alternative.  
We were looking into using RTC to be the source control management tool.  
Our Message Broker version normally will not keep up the upgrade version for RTC.  I  was advised to share the workspace as a workaround. Is is the same as integrating RTC  into the Message Broker tooklit.  I assume we will using  the Toolkit for  the build and not using the build function on the RTC. 

Questions
1. Is RTC a good choice?
2. Is there any link or sample that I can refer to meet our project lead?
3. Our Message Broker is V8004. Does that mean we need  to have RTC V3 ?   Will the version  higher than RTC V3 work?

Any suggestions, tips and hints are much appreciated.  Thank you very much,

One answer

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k23677) | answered Feb 02 '16, 3:17 a.m.
Hi Belinda,

Please find the details below.

1> Yes with my experience I would say good choice.

2> Please find the link below.

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSKM8N_8.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bk52330_.htm

3> 
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/145277/does-rtc-v405-client-integrate-with-websphere-message-broker

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Arun.

Comments
Belinda Lee commented Feb 02 '16, 11:23 a.m.

Hi Arun,
Thank you for your answer.  Appreciate your reply.
I also came across  the 'Integrating the Rational Team Concert client with the WebSphere Message Broker Toolkit page'  earlier but it mentioned about V8006  but ours is V8004. I would think it would still apply.  Please correct if I am wrong.

I read about the package group but please excuse me, my knowledge on eclipse is minimal. I checked my V8004 toolkit, the installed software showed the following. 
So I guess I am ok.

Eclipse Platform    3.6.2.r362_v20110210

Our RTC instance is now 6.0.1.

1. Which RTC version should I download from jazz.net    https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/ ?
2. In the future, when our system support  upgrade the RTC?  Do we need to upgrade our client version and would that be compatible with our existing Message Broker Version Toolkit?  
3. I don't want to assume.  To do source code managment, I need the RTC client to be installed on my PC,  the web version is not sufficient, correct?

Thank you very much.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.