It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the max number of characters for a file custom attribute value field?

John Hetrick (261012) | asked Nov 05 '15, 3:35 p.m.
 I am trying to find a reference that indicates the maximum number of characters that can be entered into a file custom attribute value field.  The number would be great, but a link to some published documentation would be better.

Thanks,
John Hetrick

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Nov 05 '15, 3:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please see the first link in the accepted answer to https://jazz.net/forum/questions/204766/size-limits-for-data-fields-in-jazz/204769
John Hetrick selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
John Hetrick commented Nov 05 '15, 4:19 p.m.

Ralph, Thanks for the quick response and link.  However, I am clear on the sizes and characteristics for work item attributes.  What I am not clear on is the size of the custom attributes for files (SCM).  It appears to be small string size, but I am looking for some confirmation.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 06 '15, 2:09 a.m.

I can't answer that. I passed it on to someone who could. You could try to set a property with really long name and content and see what happens. Increase the size until it complains.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 06 '15, 9:41 a.m.

I did what I suggested you to do, and pasted a loooooooooooooooong string into the property and it says:

• Property Name limited to128
  • Property Content limited to 250

John Hetrick commented Nov 09 '15, 8:52 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, That was/is my next step.  My customer likes official documentation, thanks for passing this along.  It is probably the same, but we are specifically interested in file custom attributes as opposed to file properties. 

Thanks
John

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 09 '15, 8:58 a.m.

I can't find a size here: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_creating_custom_att.html you might want to open an enhancement request.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.