It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the purpose of associating build with release after build is delivered?

Salman Shaikh (23413875) | asked Jun 11 '15, 9:49 a.m.
Once i have delivered code to repository, there comes an option of associating build with release. but it is showing only option of creating "Create a release to associate with this build". This option creates new release in Project area.
my questions are:
What are the uses of associating it with release because i am unable to associate 1 release with multiple builds.
When i assign a build with release it is only viewable on my side only while opening build results.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 12 '15, 3:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 12 '15, 3:39 a.m.
Once you declare a build to be THE build that is going to be shipped, you want to be able to create a release from it to:
  1. Be able to select that in the "Found In" attribute
  2. Make sure the build results with all the data - like the snapshot - is not deleted
  3. Be able to find the build result from the release - if you are a developer and have a defect that is filed against it for example, or for an audit

It does not make any sense, from my perspective, to associate one release with multiple builds, because a release is a final, auditable result.

If you want to be able to associate multiple builds to some item for tracking, use the capability to associate the build result to a work item. E.g. use a special work item like Track Build Item for that purpose. Even here, you would likely only track one build - the latest - at a time, because if you track multiple, what is the information gained? 

Remark, you can manually create Releases such as "Release1 Milestone1" to use Found in on a more general level. E.g. not related to a specific release build, but to express it is a problem with the effort to get to the release.

Salman Shaikh selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.