It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Loading of repository fails because of encoding problem

J.P. Pellet (51143) | asked Jul 06 '09, 8:26 a.m.
Hi,

I'm trying to load a repository workspace on a Windows XP machine. After apparently loading all files, it fails, saying that many files have the encoding "MacRoman", which is not available on Windows. On my Mac, all projects explicitly use the UTF-8 encoding, including all the files listed by the error message. Where does this MacRoman come from? How can I check the saved encoding of the files on the server, and how can I change it? On a Windows Server 2003 machine I was able to load all files successfully, and there too, checking their properties reveals that UTF-8 is their encoding. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Jean-Philippe
jep@zurich.ibm.com

One answer

permanent link
J.P. Pellet (51143) | answered Jul 08 '09, 12:37 p.m.
Further information: I had actually just changed the encoding of the problematic files to UTF-8, and the new encoding is not communicated to the server unless the file's contents themselves change. Then the server correctly reports the changed file encoding.

Cheers,
J.-P.

Hi,

I'm trying to load a repository workspace on a Windows XP machine. After apparently loading all files, it fails, saying that many files have the encoding "MacRoman", which is not available on Windows. On my Mac, all projects explicitly use the UTF-8 encoding, including all the files listed by the error message. Where does this MacRoman come from? How can I check the saved encoding of the files on the server, and how can I change it? On a Windows Server 2003 machine I was able to load all files successfully, and there too, checking their properties reveals that UTF-8 is their encoding. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Jean-Philippe
jep@zurich.ibm.com

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.