It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it a Simple DES or a Triple DES encryption algorithm?

Philippe Krief (1056) | asked Oct 20 '14, 10:08 a.m.
Hi Folks,

Following the question I ask at:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/161289/what-algorithm-is-used-to-encrypt-password-for-jbe

my customer asks me if it is a simple or a triple DES encryption which is used when we call
jbe -createPasswordFile pass.txt

In my understanding, it is a simple, but I might be wrong.
If it is a simple DES encryption, do we have a way to request a Triple-DES encryption ?
Do you plan to provide at some point a Triple-DES encryption ?

Thanks a lot for your help
Best regards
Philippe

2 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Oct 20 '14, 12:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 20 '14, 12:02 p.m.
Hi Philippe, it uses simple DES (i.e. 8 byte key), and the key for encoding/decoding is not a secret. As such, the password file is not really secure, it's just a way of getting the plain text password out of the build scripts and logs, and preventing casual viewing from exposing the plain text password. It is easy for someone with knowledge of how it is encoded to get the plain text given a password file. As described in the doc, we recommend the password file be given restricted permissions to prevent others from access to the build machine from being able to view it (just the build user).

Off-hand, I don't recall any RFEs to change this. It could be improved by using true public key cryptography, where the private key is used to encrypt the password in the password file, then JBE is given the public key in order to decrypt it.

permanent link
Philippe Krief (1056) | answered Oct 21 '14, 4:20 a.m.
Thx a lot Nick for your quick and fair answer... I greatly appreciate.

Should I create a RFE. My customer, which is also yours actually ;-), is very sensitive regarding such weakness in the build process?
Thx

Comments
Nick Edgar commented Oct 21 '14, 10:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

If they have concerns about the recommended way of managing password files, then yes an RFE makes sense.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.