It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Import Workitems with mention link in discussion to another RTC server using CSV import function

Nozomu Matsushita (1766) | asked Sep 18 '14, 3:16 a.m.
edited Sep 18 '14, 3:17 a.m.

We would like to import Workitems with mention link in discussion to another RTC server using CSV import function, but it doesn't work as we imagine.

For example, we would like to import the following Workitems from Server A to Server B.

Server A
  There are two Workitems. The Workitem numbers are 90 and 100.
  Workitem 100 has mention link in discussion field to Workitem 90.

However, the result to import is as belows:

Server B
  There are two Workitems. The Workitem numbers are 1 and 2 which are automatically assinged from Server B.
  Workitem 1 on Server B is originally Workitem 90 on Server A.
  Workitem 2 on Server B is originally Workitem 100 on Server A.
  Workitem 2 on Server B has still mention link in discussion field to Workitem 90 on Server B. <- This is an issue.

We hope to change the mention link from Workitem 90 to Workitem 1 because Workitem 90 doesn't exist on Server B and Workitem 1 on Server B is originally Workitem 90 on Server A, but we can't adjust workitem number in discussion when importing because we can't know what number will be assigned.

I think it is root cause that we can't assign specific workitem number when importing workitems, and we can't change the discussion filed after import.

Any workarounds?

Thanks.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Sep 18 '14, 8:31 a.m.

I am not aware of any mechanism to have the comments for linked items updated on import when the related workitem ids change.

when we had to do this earlier in the year we ended up writing a utility to correctly import all the comments separately from the standard CSV import.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Sep 19 '14, 1:05 a.m.
 Hi Nozomu,
I think Sam is correct. Currently this is working as designed and no solution available. Please see the comments in https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=267065
Nozomu Matsushita selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nozomu Matsushita commented Sep 19 '14, 2:07 a.m. | edited Sep 19 '14, 2:09 a.m.

Hi Sam and Lily,

Thank you for your answer!
I understand it is working as designed and we can't do any workarounds.

Off course, we can import workitems without discussion to determine Workitem number on new server, and change workitem number from old server to new server in discussion in CSV file manually, and import discussion additionally.
However, it is difficult to change them due to tremendous Workitem.

Umm...

sam detweiler commented Sep 19 '14, 8:08 a.m.

yes, we had over 8000 workitems to fix links in. can't do that manually.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.