It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What would be the best use of RRC folders ?

long TRUONG (3654123147) | asked Jun 13 '14, 6:38 p.m.
 Would like to solicite ideas on best uses of RRC folders:
  • What is the intended use ?
  • What is the most popular use ?
  • Is there actually a best practice ?
  • Should they be used only for grouping which cannot be achieved via simple queries ?
These questions started popping up in my head when we have to deal with folders over 100 in number and becoming invisible (Defect 71478): Believe what I see in the dir structure is not best practice, as the multi-level dir tree grouping is along the line of one can be achieved by queries on a few fields in the artifacts. 

Also if it requires an elaborate or complex directory structure to group, then the grouping should be done internally using various fields, adding new ones if necessary.

The use of RRC folders to group artifact type is the only other one I have seen.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 16 '14, 3:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I am aware, the folders is just another way to organize the data. We have seen requests for supporting folder hierarchies in various places. It is just a way a lot of users are familiar using with computers. So people want it, even if you could use other means.e.g. tags and the like to do it better. A lot of people still want it.
long TRUONG selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
long TRUONG commented Jun 16 '14, 1:10 p.m.

Thx Ralph 

One other answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Jun 16 '14, 9:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Also, if you need to restrict who can edit certain artifacts, that's done by assigning team ownership to folders as well. (You can do this on an artifact basis, but doing it by folders is more manageable).  

Comments
long TRUONG commented Jun 16 '14, 1:09 p.m.

Thx Kirk 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.