It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question about adding the RICALM schema tables to the RIDW DB.

Brian Mooney (11911) | asked Mar 12 '14, 3:22 p.m.
Question about adding the RICALM schema tables to the RIDW DB.  Per the directions at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rentrpt/v1r1m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.raer.integration.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_integrate_clm_addingricalm.html,

I am suppose to log onto the Jazz/QM instance and run the jazz setup wizard to establish a connection to the RIDW and create the RICALM schema tables.  Does this mean that the JAZZ instance's now points to the RIDW used by Rational Insight rather than the Prod DW it use to use?  If so what happens to all the history in the PROD DW db?  I can't really set it up this way, I thought RI could pull info from the Jazz DW db back to the RIDW db used by RI.

Brian

6 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Mar 12 '14, 6:12 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Brian,

If you point the JTS setup wizard to an existing Insight Data Warehouse, the RICALM schema and associated database objects are just added to the existing data warehouse.  Nothing happens to the existing data, this process just extends the data warehouse to be compatible with the CLM ETL jobs.  Hope it helps,

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Mar 13 '14, 7:02 a.m.
Hello Brian,

In addition to Benjamin's answer, I think the question is:
do you want
A) a single DW for Insight and CLM
B) or 2 separate ones?
  • In case A you can point to the CLM DW during the Insight setup and that will be used by Insight without losing the historical data collected by the CLM data collection jobs.
  • In case B you change the CLM setup to point to the Insight DW, create the tables and revert back to point to the CLM DW. Your insight DW will be empty (or what was there before), your CLM DW will still have the old data.
Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Brian Mooney (11911) | answered Mar 13 '14, 9:30 a.m.
Thanks for the response Francesco.  I have one single server RI installed and would like to have 1 Data Warehouse RIDW db and have it pull data from multiple CLM instances. From reading your above statement I believe Case B is the solution I need to follow. 

So from what I understand about Case B, I would go to the CLM instance point it to the RIDW to allow it to create the RICALM schema tables and then I can point it back to the original CLM DW db.  How does the data then get into RI, (jobs from created through RI??)

Brian

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Mar 13 '14, 9:46 a.m.
edited Mar 13 '14, 5:33 p.m.
Hello Brian,

the procedure is correct, just make sure that if your CLM servers are on different versions, you pick the one on the higher version and ensure that Insight version is the one compatible with it (e.g. CLM 4.0.5 -> Insight 1.1.1.3). See:

Version Compatibility Matrix for RRDI, CLM, and Rational Insight
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/VersionCompatibilityCLMRRDIAndInsight

The data will be populated by the data manager ETL of Insight.

Here an article with some references on collecting data from multiple CLM instances:

Configure Rational Insight with an additional Jazz Team Server
https://jazz.net/library/article/993

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Brian Mooney (11911) | answered Mar 19 '14, 11:12 a.m.
Francesco,
Thank you for this info,
I would like to clarify what we are trying to do with RI and our environment.  We have 13 JTS instances (ranging from v.4.0.4 to v4.0.2), each having their own data warehouse DB (so 13 in total).  We are looking at using RI 1.1.1.2 running a single server environment (will eventually move to a distribited environment). I have everything installed and I went through the Rational insight setup wizard and connected it to my v4.0.4 Jazz Namespace for validating logins and have deployed it successfully.  I then went to follow this link "Integrating Rational Insight with an existing CLM" http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rentrpt/v1r1m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.raer.integration.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_integrate_clm_insightwclm.html.  What we would like to do is have RI pull data from the 13 different DW dbs and consolodate the data in the RIDW db and run reports from that.  We have recieved conflicting information about whether RI can do this or not.  One way that was explained to us was that we have to replace the 13 different DW db's with new RIDW db, that way all data is directly loaded to it, the problem with this method is that the reports wouldn't be able to see any of the historical data from the old 13 DW db's prior to changing the JTS to point to the RIDW db.  We are a little confused and would like some clarification. We really don't want to do anything that affects the current 13 DW db's. 

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Mar 19 '14, 1:03 p.m.
Hello Brian,

I fear there isn't a single solution that works for all the possible usage scenarios.

What I have seen in some large deployment is the following:
N DW (1 for each JTS server) to be used for local reporting (either with Insight or RRDI+Java ETL)
+
1 global DW populated by Insight and with data pulled from all the JTS instances from enterprise / cross server reporting.

With regard to the existing data, I don't think it's possible to merge the existing historical data from multiple data warehouses to a single one. So if you consider that data important, you might want to keep your 13 separated DWs.

The best suggestion I can give, is to get IBM Services involved and get their assistance in planning your full deployment, as it goes outside of the standard supported topologies.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.