It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Attribute Data Types Labels Overlapping in 4.0.5

Evan Edwards (231014) | asked Jan 24 '14, 4:34 p.m.

I would like to know if there is a way to fix the Labels from overlapping itself in the Attribute Data Type if your label exceeds the label column width in version 4.0.5.? The overlapping of text onto the same label makes the label text very hard to read and as far as I can see there is no way to resize the column width so it is easier to read the label. If someone else has any ideas I would appreciate the help.

Comments
Mike Jaworski commented Jan 27 '14, 3:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Evan,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you please clarify which "Labels" you are referring to? Are these the labels in the enumerated entries list? Or the title of the Data Type itself? Or other entries in some other list? A screenshot of the problem you see would also be helpful.

Have you tried replicating this behavior in other browsers? I am using Chrome with RRC 4.0.5, and am not having any overlapping issues.

Thanks,
Mike Jaworski

Evan Edwards commented Jan 27 '14, 4:47 p.m. | edited Jan 27 '14, 4:48 p.m.

Michael,

I am using Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2 and it appears to be the data type enumerated lists that I created in 4.0.1 before I went to 4.0.5. They appear to be overlapping. However, if I create a new data type enumerated list with new values that have more characters than the column width it appears to be working just fine it is just my old data type enumerated lists. I would like to send the screenshots that I prepared but I cannot because my reputation does not allow it.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 27 '14, 5:45 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Pictures really help. I have granted you additional reputation points so that you can upload a screen capture. 

Evan Edwards commented Jan 28 '14, 11:38 a.m.

Thanks for the additional reputation points.  Please see my attached screenshots. Overlapping Data Type Label1 Overlapping Data Type Label2

Accepted answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jan 28 '14, 12:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Evan,

Thanks for the screenshots, that helps a lot. I can reproduce this behavior using RRC 4.0.5 and Firefox 24 ESR, but I cannot see this problem when using Chrome. It looks like the issue is only reproducible when the text has spaces in it, and is large enough to overflow the column width. I used the string "This enum entry label is entirely too long to fit on the same row" and was able to see the text overlap into the next row.

In order to address this issue, I logged a new defect against the RRC Web Client here: Enum Entry labels can overlap onto next row if text is significantly large (not reproducible on Chrome) (84501). Sorry for the inconvenience of this issue, but you should be able to circumvent this by using Chrome instead of FF for the time being, if at all possible.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Mike Jaworski
Evan Edwards selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Evan Edwards commented Jan 28 '14, 12:59 p.m.

Michael,

Thank you for your answer and for your suggestion. However, I work for the DoD and Chrome has not been approved to use on our development network yet so we only have the option of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. Thank you for submitting the defect I will follow the defect and watch if it is present in new releases.

One other answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jan 31 '14, 8:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Evan, 

Just as an FYI, this defect has actually already been fixed in RRC 4.0.6, which should release in Q1 this year. Here are the applicable defect references:

UI where you enter labels for custom Attribute Data Types has bad line spacing - long labels cause overlap (79459) (fixed the issue you are seeing, but introduced a regression where the RDF-URI was no-longer editable)
URI frame to small (82124) (fixed the regression mentioned above)

Thanks,
Mike

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.