It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

A general question on RTC Snapshots

Sean Burke (3789144247) | asked Nov 01 '13, 1:05 p.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 3:57 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
We are coming from a different version control which handles configuration management slightly different.  So with that in mind,  if I have a snapshot of a configuration and after testing that I realize that a few files caused the the configuration to break,  is there a way in RTC to move the snapshot to an earlier version of a few selected files or is best practices to take another snapshot?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Nov 01 '13, 1:22 p.m.
Snapshot content is immutable. You can change the name and the description after the fact, but not the included baselines.
Sean Burke selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sean Burke commented Nov 01 '13, 1:24 p.m.

Thanks Jeff, so in this case you would just have to create another snapshot to deal with the new configuration? 

Jeff Care commented Nov 01 '13, 1:29 p.m. | edited Nov 01 '13, 1:30 p.m.

Yes - you don't really have any option other than creating a new snapshot. In a former job I had a similar problem: we needed to extract, make & deliver a few changes, then build. We ended up with essentially two snapshots for every build, whereas with our old SCM system (CMVC) a user with the proper authority could modify the level (roughly analogous to a snapshot) in flight.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 03 '13, 12:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Snapshots are very lightweight objects in RTC, so there's no reason to "re-use" them ... just create new ones when needed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.