It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Intersted in the contents inside the component rather than the history when I compare sometimes

Banumathi Jayaraman (1834) | asked Oct 08 '13, 12:16 a.m.
edited Oct 08 '13, 8:31 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)

Dear Technical support,

I would like to avail the facility in Jazz source control for comparing the contents of files rather than the histories (change sets) between two baselines.

A situation is there where we have two baselines : baseline 20 has the set of folders and files same as baseline 40, except that baseline 40 has some more extra folders. In this case, I would like to get the comparison done between the two baselines and report must be available stating the baseline 20 and 40 matches, but with baseline 40 having extra folders.

Please let me know the way to set the preferences for the above mentioned requirement asap.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Oct 08 '13, 9:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't think this is how Jazz SCM works -- it's about change sets, not file versions. If you compare two baselines, you should see indications of files that have been added, remove and changed, but it won't be a simple file inventory comparison. This article contains a nice discussion of "SCM archaeology" with RTC

You might be able to create this report by using the API to retrieve the contents of each baseline (essentially the Show Repository Files action) and comparing them. Or perhaps using the SCM command line interface to retrieve each baseline's files to different temporary locations and then compare them.

Hmm, I may have found an SCM Command Line Reference that may help. In Table 14 they mention an "f for file system" option for the -I include argument (and the default behavior does not include f). Maybe give that a try. I am not certain that will work, but it looks like what you are asking for.
Banumathi Jayaraman selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Banumathi Jayaraman commented Oct 08 '13, 11:22 p.m. | edited Oct 08 '13, 11:25 p.m.

I've raised a change request to avail such a kind of facility - #284363

Millard Ellingsworth commented Oct 08 '13, 11:46 p.m.

Did you try the SCM CLI tool with the "-I f" option and it didn't work? 

Banumathi Jayaraman commented Oct 09 '13, 12:05 a.m. | edited Oct 09 '13, 10:49 a.m.

No I didn't give a try. I thought of raising the request for easily managing the preferences setting through the window preferences mechanism..

Also, I'm not so very convenient in the SCM CLI tool...I need some guidance. can you help me do this?

Banumathi Jayaraman commented Oct 09 '13, 12:14 a.m.

Is it the command line interface? Would I be able to use that with the Eclipse client?

Banumathi Jayaraman commented Oct 09 '13, 3:04 a.m.

lscm compare -c "infrastructure.core.mpc56xx" -I f baseline "61: rel_INFRASTRUCTURE_CORE_E2.5_1.0" baseline "56: rel-E2.5-INFRASTRUCTURE-CORE-1.0"

is the above statement correct to compare two baselines in the component - infrastructure.core.mpc56xx? If no, please guide me.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Oct 09 '13, 11:45 a.m.

That looks correct except the argument list may need "-r <URI-to-repository>". See login command description for how to create a short alias or nickname for that.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.