It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RPG source portation/synchronization

Rob Ste (2611) | asked Jan 13 '09, 7:46 a.m.
retagged Jun 24 '12, 4:37 a.m. by Arne Bister (2.6k12832)
Hi,

does anyone made some experiance porting RPG sources from the conventional System i file system (lib.LIB/file.FILE/mbr.MBR) to jazz? Is there a possibility to handle both, e.g. still use the conventional file system and jazz repository?

Thank you.
Robert

9 answers

permanent link
Jason Dahl (16) | answered Jan 13 '09, 9:13 a.m.
We are using Jazz 1.0.1 with Rational Developer for i and have successfully transferred our RPG source fromt he IBM i to a Jazz repository. First we added the source physical files we wanted to manage to an i Project in RDi and then shared that to the repository.

Now if I could just figure how streams and workspaces work we would be golden...

Hi,

does anyone made some experiance porting RPG sources from the conventional System i file system (lib.LIB/file.FILE/mbr.MBR) to jazz? Is there a possibility to handle both, e.g. still use the conventional file system and jazz repository?

Thank you.
Robert

permanent link
Rob Ste (2611) | answered Jan 13 '09, 9:48 a.m.
Hi Jason,

thank you very much so far. I got it run. :D

In our case we need a step by step portation because of the enormous size of our software. Further we want to support the conventional way too. So maybe there is a possibility?!

Kind regards,
Robert

permanent link
Jason Dahl (16) | answered Jan 13 '09, 11:59 a.m.
I'll see what I can come up with for you. What is your development environment?

Hi Jason,

thank you very much so far. I got it run. :D

In our case we need a step by step portation because of the enormous size of our software. Further we want to support the conventional way too. So maybe there is a possibility?!

Kind regards,
Robert

permanent link
Rob Ste (2611) | answered Jan 15 '09, 11:29 a.m.
Hi Jason,

- IBM Rational Developer for i 7.5.0.1
- Jazz Team Server Standard Edition 1.0.1
- iSeries 525, V5R4M0

Kind regards
Robert

permanent link
Jason Dahl (16) | answered Jan 15 '09, 12:52 p.m.
Good deal. Some set of applications/versions as us except we are on V6R1.

Here's what I did in very general terms. This is assuming that your project is all setup in Jazz. If you would like specifics of any given step let me know.

- Create a connection to my i
- Create an i Project
- Find my source library in RSE
- Select all of the source physical files that I want included in my change management
- Right-click on that selection and click Add to i Project
- Right-click on the i Project | Team | Share Project
- Go to the Properties of my i Project then i Project and specify the connection to my system and library that I will be using for compiles, etc.

If anyone else has any helpful information I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Hi Jason,

- IBM Rational Developer for i 7.5.0.1
- Jazz Team Server Standard Edition 1.0.1
- iSeries 525, V5R4M0

Kind regards
Robert

permanent link
Rob Ste (2611) | answered Jan 16 '09, 9:01 a.m.
V6R1 is one of the next steps. ;)

Thx a lot again!

I did it the same way as you did. Everything works fine. Cheking in the repository etc... But it seems, that the remote system files cannot be updated by jazz. ;(

Kind regards,
Robert

permanent link
Rob Ste (2611) | answered Jan 19 '09, 5:22 a.m.
There is a possibility by right clicking on a source member in the iProject to push changes. Just select "Remote Action => Push Changes" in the context menu. Does anybody know if this could be automated? For example by delivering to the repository?

permanent link
Kushal Munir (126103) | answered Jan 20 '09, 10:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is no direct way to automate doing a push to library when delivering to the repository. The idea is that each developer will load the i Projects from the stream, make changes locally in their RDi workspace and push changes to their individual, private library for compile. When they are satisfied, they deliver the change to the stream.

There is one way, however, that you could mirror the contents of the stream to integration libraries, i.e. doing a deliver will automatically copy the contents of the project to a corresponding library on an IBM i. For this you'll need to use Rational Team Concert for i (RTCi) :-)

RTCi is available for trial download here: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/i1.0. Note that this allows you to host the Jazz server on an IBM i and provides all function available in RTC plus IBM i specific function. Follow the installation guide to setup the server on IBM i.

The mirroring capability that I described is called Continuous Load, and it makes use of the build infrastructure that RTC provides. It requires running a build engine on the target IBM i to which you want to mirror the contents of the stream. You can find information about this in the RTCi information center: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtcihelp/v1r0m0/index.jsp

There is a possibility by right clicking on a source member in the iProject to push changes. Just select "Remote Action => Push Changes" in the context menu. Does anybody know if this could be automated? For example by delivering to the repository?

permanent link
Rob Ste (2611) | answered Jan 20 '09, 11:29 a.m.
Hi Kushal,

thank you very much for your answer. :)

I found the topic "Synchronizing a repository workspace with mapped libraries on IBM i" in the online help:

Managing change and releases > Rational Team Concert for i: Considerations for managing change and releases

I didn't test it yet, but it seems to be the right solution for me.

Thx again and kind regards,
Robert

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.