It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Equivalent to version extended pathname?

Andy Moynahan (6312219) | asked May 17 '13, 8:24 p.m.
I have clients that use ClearCase and are used to generating a listing of all files and their versions that go into a release.
This is typically done by.....
1) labeling all the files in a release with an appropriate label (Release_1.0.1 for example)
2) creating a view that picks up all the files labeled with Release_1.0.1
3) doing a cleartool ls with the appropriate flags to generate a list of all the files with their version extended pathnames for a simple and human readable listing of all the file versions that went into a given release.

Is there any such equivalent in RTC? I realize the architecture of RTC is quite different than ClearCase but I'm wondering if there is guidance on how this common use case in ClearCase can be achieved in RTC.

I know I can reference a set of files with a snapshot but I can't seem to see any meta data on the files themselves.

My client is trying to understand how they are supposed to generate reports for auditing purposes that show what file version are associated with a given release.

so my questions are:
1) is there a way to see the meta data on a file that relates a particular revision of a file in RTC to the snapshot? (Like seeing ClearCase labels on versions of the file in CC)

2) How do people in general answer the question "What revisions/versions/instances of my files went into a particular release?" with RTC in some reportable manner/format?

Thanks

Andy Moynahan

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 19 '13, 12:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC-SCM maintains a UUID for each version.   In the Eclipse client, if you ask for the properties of a loaded file, you can see the UUID for the current version.  I believe that you'll need to use the API to extract this information for all of the files in a give snapshot (a snapshot is the way you would normally capture a "release" in RTC-SCM).
If there is a standard report or scm command for listing the UUID's of the files in a snapshot, hopefully someone will post it here.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.